I had contact from someone who had searched the Internet for the registration number from a photograph he had taken back in the 1980’s. It turned out to be 289 VMG and the search returned this very website. Apparently it was taken in Leigh-on-Sea Essex. Once I’ve completed the retsoration I intend to take the van back there for an updated picture. I may also put an add in the local papaer there to see if anyone remembers it. I’m sure that he won’t mind me reproducing the photo here.
Back again after a long break from Stan. The problem was that I thought the van may have a bent chassis and this was putting me off somewhat. I didn’t want to spend time and effort if the van was going to be dipping to one side. Let me explain…I understood from the previous owner’s blog that there was an incident whilst at the sand blasters where Stan was picked up with a fork lift truck; in fact you can see evidence of this on the petrol tank.
So was the chassis twisted or was it the leaf springs. The only way I could really prove this was to jack up onto 4 axle stands. Although the van looked more level, I couldn’t be sure as the driveway does have a slight camber to it. But this did prove that it made a difference.
Now during a visit by my brother Chris, he convinced me that we should remove the rear leaf springs and get them re-tempered. So after much grief we managed to get the springs off. I happened to have a couple of 6 foot fence posts ready for a repair job. We decided to push these into where the springs had come from.
Well this proved once and for all that the springs were causing the issue. This is good news and gives me the encouragement to continue.
So off to Brost forge in London go the springs. A couple of weeks later they return with the comment that one side was too high and the other too low.