More progress

Rear springs
Rear springs

Here we can see the back of the van with the rear diff removed and ready to accept the re-tempered springs. The diff is on the workbench awaiting an overhaul. The gearbox is still away having it’s overhaul…that reminds me I must give them a ring to check on progress, as getting all prepared now for engine and gearbox to go back. Although I do have plenty of other jobs to be getting on with.


The rear of the van
The rear of the van

Another view of the preparation for getting the springs back on. Don’t worry I’m not lifting the van with those blocks of wood on top of the trolley jack. It is just there to provide added support whilst I scramble about underneath. The axle stands look pretty stable, but as I’ve got the jack I though it would give extra peace of mind. You will also see some of the ZG-90 sprayed on the back of the chassis, which I must admit I’m quite impressed with so far.


Front wheel
Front wheel

Once I’ve finished messing around underneath, I will have to tackle the remaining bodywork. There seems to be a few areas of filler that will need attention, although much of the welding was completed by the previous owner. This is the nearside front wheel and I do have the panel that is missing in the picture.


Front springs
Front springs

Having concentrated on the rear of the van I guess the time will come when I need to tackle the front half. It looks like it’ll be worth sending the springs off to Brost Forge for their special treatment. I don’t really want to put everything back together and then find that they need doing. They look a bit worse for wear with some broken and others flat.


Another view
Another view

Another view of the inside of the van. You can just about see the radiator, which has been re-cored and painted by a local specialist here in Ipswich.



Inside back
Rear of van

This is looking back in to the rear of the van. There’s certainly plenty of space in there and I’m looking forward to the first large item I pick up.


Rear differential
Differential

I thought I would add one last picture today and it is of the rear differential. The only real space I had in the garage was on my workbench. I’m not sure what I will do to overhaul it, but probably just open it up and give it a good clean and see if all looks OK.

Fixing of gearbox mounts

Gearbox mounts
Gearbox mounts

Still actively working on the van, but most of the changes will be hidden when all goes back together. I am in the process of putting the springs back in, following clean up of the brackets and spraying with zinc primer (ZG-90). The photo below shows the mounts now they have been cleaned, primed and painted black. Also shows the old rubber mounts and the new ones.
The gearbox is away being refurbished and I am preparing for it’s return by getting the mounts in place. Before the engine can go in I need to attach the gearbox and hence both sets of mounts need to be in place. There are two engine mounts and two gearbox ones.

Gearbox mounts in place
Gearbox mounts in place

Having just looked at the picture on the website I think I’ve put the one on the right the wrong way round. It seems too high compared to the one on the left. The one that is correct has a large hole for the bolt and another smaller hole for the locating lug, so it’s easy to get this one correct. The other side only has a slot and I was wondering which way up it should go. Still not too much effort to swap it round and at least I noticed it before trying to put the engine back in. I must admit I probably wouldn’t have noticed this if it wasn’t for taking this picture for this site.

Not sure if other people have any experience with zinc primer ZG-90, but my first impressions are that it appears to be quite good. From the manufacturers website, they claim high 90’s percentage of zinc, which should create a good cold galvanising coat. I probably won’t know for some time if it stops the rust coming through, but hopefully it will. As I’m only doing small amounts of restoration at a time, I’m quite happy to pay the extra to apply via spray can rather than paint brush; as this saves me having to clean the brushes out each time. I’ve decided to use Halford’s black spray to overcoat the ZG-90 on the chassis and other parts under the van.