Fixing of gearbox mounts

Gearbox mounts
Gearbox mounts

Still actively working on the van, but most of the changes will be hidden when all goes back together. I am in the process of putting the springs back in, following clean up of the brackets and spraying with zinc primer (ZG-90). The photo below shows the mounts now they have been cleaned, primed and painted black. Also shows the old rubber mounts and the new ones.
The gearbox is away being refurbished and I am preparing for it’s return by getting the mounts in place. Before the engine can go in I need to attach the gearbox and hence both sets of mounts need to be in place. There are two engine mounts and two gearbox ones.

Gearbox mounts in place
Gearbox mounts in place

Having just looked at the picture on the website I think I’ve put the one on the right the wrong way round. It seems too high compared to the one on the left. The one that is correct has a large hole for the bolt and another smaller hole for the locating lug, so it’s easy to get this one correct. The other side only has a slot and I was wondering which way up it should go. Still not too much effort to swap it round and at least I noticed it before trying to put the engine back in. I must admit I probably wouldn’t have noticed this if it wasn’t for taking this picture for this site.

Not sure if other people have any experience with zinc primer ZG-90, but my first impressions are that it appears to be quite good. From the manufacturers website, they claim high 90’s percentage of zinc, which should create a good cold galvanising coat. I probably won’t know for some time if it stops the rust coming through, but hopefully it will. As I’m only doing small amounts of restoration at a time, I’m quite happy to pay the extra to apply via spray can rather than paint brush; as this saves me having to clean the brushes out each time. I’ve decided to use Halford’s black spray to overcoat the ZG-90 on the chassis and other parts under the van.